The Lung Association of Ontario is warning local homeowners about the dangers of Radon gas.
Radon occurs naturally in the soil and can seep inside your home.
Sarah Butson says one in 14 homes across Ontario contain unsafe levels of radioactive Radon gas, and the only way to know is to have your home tested.
Butson says “you can’t see it, you can’t smell it and you can’t taste it, but it’s dangerous, especially when there prolonged exposure.”
She notes Radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in Ontario.
November was National Radon Awareness Month.
Do-it-yourself test kits cost about $50, and it’s recommended they run for three months to get an accurate reading.
Ontario is the only province that has warranty protection for excessive radon for new homes.